The Fitzgerald at UB Midtown to Become Baltimore’s Largest LEED® Certified Residential Development
February 01, 2010
Mixed-Use Apartment Community Expected to Achieve LEED Certification
Greenbelt, MD - February 1, 2010 - The Bozzuto Group today announced The Fitzgerald at UB Midtown is on track to become the most sizeable LEED certified apartment community in the Baltimore area.
The development, comprised of 275 apartments, 24,000 square feet of street-level retail and a 1,245 space parking garage, is registered with the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) and is being constructed to attain LEED certification. The Fitzgerald garage opened on January 11th, residential leasing will commence in March, and retail will begin to deliver in early summer.
“As a longtime multifamily developer, we have for many years believed that growth can be both economically and environmentally sound,” said Tom Bozzuto, CEO of The Bozzuto Group. “We believe The Fitzgerald takes that notion to the next level.”
To achieve LEED certification, The Fitzgerald’s sustainability strategy includes implementing a number of environmentally-conscious design features, construction tactics, water efficiency technologies and air quality practices.
- Energy Reduction: The Fitzgerald has been designed to operate no less than 14 percent more efficiently than current standards require, achieved through fluorescent lighting and Energy Star appliances, among other sustainable aspects of the building. In addition, 70 percent of the building’s electricity will be purchased from renewable sources.
- Water Reduction: Reduction of water consumption will be achieved through use of plumbing fixtures such as dual-flush toilets, low-flow faucets and low-flow showers, collectively reducing consumption by 40 percent.
- Air Quality: The Fitzgerald will be 100% smoke free, inside and out. All carpets, adhesives, sealants, paints and coatings used in the building will meet or exceed low VOC standards to ensure the best possible indoor air quality.
- Recycling: Easily accessible recycling areas will maximize participation by residents and retailers. During construction, no less than 75 percent of waste has been diverted to recycling rather than to landfills. In addition, no less than 10 percent of the building will be constructed with recycled content and no less than 10 percent of the building will be constructed with materials and products that have been sourced within 500 miles of the project site.
- Transportation: The Fitzgerald is a transit-oriented development located at a light rail stop and within two blocks of Penn Station. This urban location promotes minimal vehicular use, reducing the carbon footprint of its residents and patrons. The community also offers significant bicycle accommodations, including an enclosed area with racks, as well as preferred parking for hybrid vehicles and car sharing.
The Fitzgerald’s 1,245-space parking garage provides convenient public parking for the neighborhood, most notably serving the University of Baltimore, the Lyric Opera House, and MICA, as well as local businesses, commuters, and residents. Parking rates begin at $6 for two hours, with modified rates for monthly plans and special events, and preferred rate structures for UB staff and students and Fitzgerald residents.
A Barnes & Noble College Booksellers Superstore will serve as the anchor of the retail portion of The Fitzgerald. The store, featuring 20,000 square feet of retail space on two levels, a Starbucks-branded café, and designated areas for UB textbook and institutional sales, is expected to open for business this fall.
The Fitzgerald is a joint venture between The Bozzuto Group, Gould Property Company, NYSTRS and former Baltimore Raven Michael McCrary, and sits on 4.6 acres of land owned by the University of Baltimore. The project is developed by Bozzuto Development Company, Bozzuto Construction Company is the general contractor, and Bozzuto Management Company will professionally manage the community.
For more information, visit www.FitzgeraldBaltimore.com.
About The Bozzuto Group
Headquartered in Greenbelt, MD, The Bozzuto Group consists of six integrated companies - Acquisitions, Construction, Development, Homebuilding, Land Development and Property Management - that together provide a broad range of real estate services, which are also available for third-party clients.
The company is committed to providing quality housing for all, from luxury homes and apartments to affordable housing solutions. Since 1988, the company has developed, acquired and built more than 31,000 homes and apartments. Throughout The Bozzuto Group’s 21-year history, the firm and its principals have been honored with numerous industry awards and honors, including being named NAHB’s Property Management Company of the Year in both 2000 and 2009. For more information, please visit www.bozzuto.com.